I didn't have anyone graduating this year but I did have a Junior. In Kanab they have a candle ceremony which signifies the Seniors passing the light to the Juniors to become the next senior class. (?) I don't know when this started but it is fun for the Juniors.
As you can see in this picture the Seniors are doing their last walk and the Juniors are taking their place on the stands.
In this picture Jessica in turquoise is receiving her light from a Senior they then walk together to the door then they part and the Junior takes their place on the stands and the Senior leaves. It is different every year but the significance is the same.
This is the Juniors after the candle ceremony.
I am really sad that Jessica is a Senior now. I am not ready for her to graduate and I know it will go by really fast. Jessica is the one on the front row next to the other girl(Cassidie,one of her best friends) with turqouise. They had no idea that they were wearing the same thing until they got there. I guess great minds think alike.
End of an Era
1 month ago











6 comments:
That looks like fun. I was amazed at how small the senior and junior classes were. I had no idea Kanab was that small of a high school. It must be fun for your kids to go to a high school that size. You probably know all the kids they know!
I had forgotten about the candle ceremony. Oh the memories!
This is a small class, how many graduated?
I can't beleive Jess is going to be a senior either, it seems like just yesterday she was needing Beauty and the Beast on!
The Senior class had 57 and Jessica's class has 56. (Not all of the Juniors were at graduation)
Too bad she isn't just a sophmore so we could have her a few more years!!! (I'm sure she wouldn't agree with that statement)...she is such a great kid!!!
That's a really cool tradition. I've never heard it before - I bet she likes being in a smaller school. I did - of course our class wasn't that small (I think we had about 200), but I had a greater sense of "self" and getting to know 99% of my classmates, rather than being some face in a crowd.
I can't believe she is a senior- seems like Ashley was just a senior. It just goes way too fast- I don't like it!
Post a Comment