Friday, October 3, 2008

Grateful for my Dad!!!

Monday evening after we had FHE, we were talking and my dad stated that he had gone to have a stress test that day with Dr. Ott, because he had been noticing that when he would lift heavy things or exert himself he would have burning in his chest. (and since his younger brother had 4 or 5 bypass last winter). While he was having the stress test he had some chest pains and so they stopped the test. Dr. Ott told dad that the EKG showed some kind of blockage and that he would need to go to St. George to have an angiogram done. Dr. Ott set up the appt to have the stress test done on Thursday. So on Thursday Mom, Dad and I traveled to Dixie Medical Center for dad to have the angiogram. We got there about noon for our wait. They took him back around 1pm to prep him for the angiogram. We knew from my prior experience with heart stuff that if they found something when they get in there they could take care of it while they are in there if it wasn't to bad. So we had no idea how long our wait would be. After about an hour a doctor came and showed us a picture of his heart and two blockages that they were proceeding to putting stents in. (interesting the his blockage is in the same artery that mine is.)At about 3:30 they called and told us he was in recovery and we could go back and see him. He was in good spirits and felt great. Other than his butt was tired from laying so long. He wasn't suppose to move his right leg due to them going in through his femoral artery at the groin to do the proceedure. How long you have to lay still depends on how fast your blood clots you could have to lay there for 2, 4, or 6 hours. He got to lay there not moving for 4 hours. I think it was the longest 4 hours of his life. Finally at 7:30 pm he was allowed to get up to use the bathroom. He said he was about to float. He was so happy to be able to get up.
After he was transferred to a room two of his siblings came to visit. Uncle Lane & Aunt Shirley and Uncle CF & Aunt Jeanie. It was fun to sit and visit. Melanie, CF and Jeanies daughter came by for a few minutes also. (sorry the pics are so bad it didn't have my camera.)

Dad's brother Lane, sister Jeanie and Jeanies husband CF
Mom and Shirley (Lane's wife)
the sunset out dads window.
He only had to stay in the hospital one night. And is feeling good. He is so happy as are the rest of us that he didn't have to have open heart surgery. The doctor doing the angiogram said that he was one blockage away from having to have the surgery instead of stents. He will have to be on a special diet and walk everyday. I am just happy that technology makes it so much easier for people to heal and be healthier for longer. I love my dad and want him to stay around for many more years to come. I am so thankful for him and my mom. They are great parents.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

We're so glad things went well. Your parents are part of my family too.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad he is doing good and back home. We are all thankful that you live close to your parents and that you take such good care of them.

Anonymous said...

I'm so grateful for these blogs. How else would I have known. Thank you so much, Kim, for this news, and I'm so happy it ended well. Your dad is one of the most wonderful creatures on this earth! I am his biggest fan. I love him so much....and your mom. You are lucky to have such wonderful parents. Please give them my love. Always,
Pete