Tuesday, July 6, 2010

LEE'S FERRY AND THE LOOP

 Yesterday we decided to take the loop over the Kaibab and around through Page.  I have never been past Jacobs Lake south.  When we have gone to Pheonix we always go through Page.  We left after Jordan got off work and headed south. We stopped at Jacobs Lake Inn to get some Lemon Zucchini cookies (Stuart says that they are the best).  Then headed the way I had never been.   It was pretty steep and curvy.  The landscape was really pretty and looked a little like Kanab but with different colors.   When you get down to the bottom of the Kaibab you look over House Rock Valley.  It is huge.  I pictured it as a little rock house in a little valley.  I didn't see any rock house but he valley was huge.   Jordan has gone to Marble canyon on a couple of accident with Ramsays and Stuart goes out there all the time on the ambulance.  I just figured it was a couple of miles past Jacobs Lake.   Not,  It was a long ways down there.  When Jordan was driving there I am glad I didn't know how far it really was, I would have been a nervous wreck.  Anyway we went through a couple of little villiages/towns (Vermillion Cliffs and Cliff Dwellers) before we made it to Marble Canyon and Lees Ferry.   We drove down to Lees Ferry  then back up to the bridge. 
There is a walking bridge and a driving bridge.   We parked and the boys walked all the way across the bridge.  I drove to the other side to pick them up (yes! I am afraid of heights,  I was not going to cross that walking bridge).  They have lots of plaques telling the history of the ferry.  It was very interesting.   I love reading about pioneer history and getting to see it first hand is always fun too.  I don't think the boys thought that but oh well.  






After Lee's Ferry we headed to Lake Powell.  Ashlee and Brian were there for the day so we stopped for a little while to play in the water.   The boys had fun.   Stuart and I sat and visited for a little while.  When the boys were ready we headed home.   It was a great day. 




After I finish reading Undaunted we will head over to Hole in the Rock to check that out.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I miss out on EVERYTHING!

boo school.

for real.

by: Kim said...

Nice try Jess but it was on Monday and you chose to go back to St george instead of with us. You could have had fun with us!!