Today was Kanab's annual Mothers Day weekend 10K(6.2 miles) run/walk. We have never been to a 10K race before. Robin and I were going to walk it but kind of chickened out then Ashlee and Jessica told me that they were going to do it so I decided to do it with them. Ashlee ended up having to work so it was just Jessica and I. We had a great time and even though we hadn't done any training we just wanted to finish better than last. We had to be at the park before 6:15am to catch the shuttle up to Moqui Cave(5 miles north of Kanab). Once we got to Moqui Cave we just stood around waiting for the rest of the people to be shuttled up there and for the race to start. It was really cold up there we were all freezing. The race was suppose to start at 7:00am and according to the instructions we had to be at the 300 north(5mile) check point by 8:30am. Since we had never done a race before we didn't know how long it would really take us so we were a little worried we wouldn't make it there in time. Then the race started late it even made me more worried. After freezing for what seemed like forever the race finally started at 7:20.
When we got started Jessica said do you think you can run part of the race. (the plan was to walk it) I told her that I would try. I haven't run since high school (forever ago). So we started out running two cones(they had road cones out about 8 per mile) and then walking for two cones. I did fine for the first 3 miles the fourth my asthma acted up a little and I had a hard time catching my breath but I started doing my version of yoga(relaxation) breathing while we were on the walking ones and that helped some. On the 5th and 6th mile I made it about 1 1/2 cones running and 2 1/2 cones walking. I really slowed down the last mile but Jessica pushed me to run the last block and on to the finish line. It was a great feeling. It took us 1 hour and 22 minutes I thought it would take us at least 2 hours so we did great and we didn't come in last. Stuart said there was alot of people behind us. Next year we will train better and hopefully improve our time. I am so proud of Jessica and I it was hard but we did it. Ashlee you better be ready for next year. No working!!
(This is us after the awards I won a gift certificate)Thanks for pushing me to do better, Jessica, Love Ya
Next Day: I am so sore I had a really hard time getting out of bed and I am walking like a robot. My calves and butt hurt. I think doing some training ahead of time might have some advantages. Hopefully by tomorrow I will be as good as new.











4 comments:
Oh, but it was soo fun! Thanks for stickin' with it. :) I love you, mom! oh and HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! You're the best.
Way to go! You two are awesome!
I am so impressed!!! Good job sticking all the way out to the end!
Great job!! That is so cool. I want to do that next year even though I hate to run. It's been state baseball the past years so I've had an excuse. Yay you two- I'm impressed.
Post a Comment